The Corsair SF850L currently is the best SFX-L unit that you can find in today’s market. It isn’t the quietest though, but you can read more about this in the full review! Lastly, it offers ATX v3.0 and PCIe 5.o compatibility which make it future-proof.
I have already reviewed the SF1000L, which left an excellent impression on me, so it is time to look at the SF850L. The same OEM, Great Wall, makes both units, so they share the same platform. They are compatible with ATX v3.0 and PCIe 5.0 and feature 12VHPWR connectors set at 600W. Typically the 12VHPWR connectors should be set at 450W and 300W for the SF1000L and SF850L, respectively, but most brands ignore this Intel guideline and proceed with a full-power 12VHPWR cable/connector. This is because some users complain that their cards cannot get full power, although the performance difference between a 450W RTX4090 and a 600W one doesn’t justify the increased power consumption.
With a price of $200, the SF1000L is way more affordable than competing offerings from Asus, Thermaltake, and Silverstone, and the same goes for the SF850L, which has a street price of $180. The only SFX unit with 850W max power and alleged ATX v3.0 and PCIe 5.0 compatibility with a notably lower price is the ARESGAME 850W SFX model, which costs $130! Given that I evaluated a PSU of this brand in the past for another media and the horrible results, I can safely assume that performance will be bottom low and the unit ARESGAME PSU won’t be able to meet the strict transient response tests. I will try to find a pair of these units for testing to ensure I can finish all tests once the first breaks on the test bench.
The Corsair SF850L is included in my best ATX v3.0 & PCIe 5.0 PSU picks article.
- Manufacturer (OEM): Great Wall
- Max Power: 850W
- Cybenetics Efficiency: [115V] Cybenetics Platinum (89-91%)
- 80 Plus Efficiency: Gold
- Noise: Cybenetics Standard+ (35-40 dB[A])
- Compliance: ATX v3.0, SFX-L, EPS 2.92
- Operating Temperature (Continuous Full Load): 0 – 50°C
- Alternative Low Power Mode support: Yes
- Power 12V combined: 850W
- Number of 12V rails: 1
- Power 5V + 3.3v: 150W
- Power 5VSB: 15W
- Cooling: 120mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan (NR1215)
- Semi-Passive Operation: ✓
- Modular Design: Yes (Fully)
- High Power Connectors: 2x EPS (2x cables), 4x PCIe 6+2 pin (3x cables), 1x PCIe 12+4 pin (600W)
- Peripheral Connectors: 8x SATA (2x cables), 3x 4-pin Molex (single cable)
- ATX Cable Length: 300mm
- EPS Cable Length: 400mm
- 12VHPWR Cable Length: 400mm
- Distance between SATA: 110/115mm
- Distance between4-pin Molex: 110mm
- In-cable capacitors: No
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 125 x 65 x 130mm
- Weight: 1.13 kg (2.49 lb)
- Warranty: seven years
- Stree price (excluding VAT): $180
|Total Max. Power (W)||850|
2 thoughts on “Corsair SF850L SFX-L PSU Review – The BEST SFX-L PSU”
Is the included 12VHPWR cable sufficient/safe for powering an RTX 4090 FE or should a 3×8 cable/adapter still be used? If it is sufficient and totally safe, does the manual specify which ports to use or doesn’t that matter?
Yes it is ok, and it is set at 600W. You can hook it in any port that fits.