The Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 850W Gold is a high performance SFX PSU, featuring a 12VHPWR connector, set at 600W. The PSU meets the corresponding ATX v3.0 transient response requirements so it is future proof, justifying, in a degree at least, its 200-dollar price tag. Some problems though exist, in protection features.
After checking the Thermaltake Toughpower SFX-L model with 1000W max power, it is time to look at the lower capacity unit, which follows the SFX form factor. With 850W capacity, ATX v3.0, and PCIe 5.0 compatibility, thanks to its 600W 12VHPWR cable, this PSU is ideal for a compact but potent system. The most popular SFX PSUs in the high-end category are the ones with 850W capacity, which is why most brands try to have a worthy presence in this wattage category.
Thermaltake cooperated with HKC for these SFX units, and the platforms are interesting since they combine a high build quality with good performance. This OEM, HKC, has been gaining more and more ground in the last few years, and having a popular brand like Thermaltake using its products, is a great asset for its image. Moreover, big brands usually want exclusivity in platforms, which popular OEMs cannot easily offer or ask for a lot of money to make happen. This is why most brands try to find factories that are not so popular but still can produce quality products to cooperate. Besides Thermaltake with HKC, another example is Cooler Master with Gospower and Sysgration.Cybenetics Report
- Manufacturer (OEM): HKC
- Max Power: 850W
- Cybenetics Efficiency: [115V] Platinum (89-91%)
- 80 Plus Efficiency: Gold
- Noise: Cybenetics S+ (35-40 dB[A])
- Compliance: ATX v3.0, SFX12V 4.0, PCIe 5.0, EPS 2.92
- Alternative Low Power Mode support: Yes
- Power 12V: 850W
- Power 5V + 3.3v: 100W
- Power 5VSB: 15W
- Cooling: 92mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan [TT-0925 (AV-F9215HS)]
- Semi-Passive Operation: Yes
- Modular Design: Yes (Fully)
- High Power Connectors: 2x EPS (2x cables), 2x PCIe 6+2 pin (1x cables), 1x PCIe 12+4 pin (600W)
- Peripheral Connectors: 8x SATA (2x cables), 4x 4-pin Molex (single cable)
- ATX/EPS Cable Length: 300/400mm
- Distance between SATA connectors: 150mm
- Distance between 4-pin Molex connectors: 145mm
- In-cable capacitors: No
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 125 mm x 65 mm x 100 mm
- Weight: 0.96 kg (2.12 lb)
- Warranty: 7 years
2 thoughts on “Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 850W Gold PSU Review”
Mine has a horrid whine when the fan can’t decide wether it wants to spin or not. This doesn’t seem to be an uncommon issue either which is annoying. So far warranty support has been unhelpful.
I am sorry to hear this. Will try to contact TT and learn more about this.