Forum

Best PSU for Ultra ...

Notifications
Clear all

Best PSU for Ultra Low Noise WS, AX1600i vs TX1600 Noctua?

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
 Easa
(@easa)
Topic starter  

Hey! I am currently doing a Lian Li V3000 Plus build with dual pump, quad radiator watercooling system, that will serve as my workstation core for years to come. Of course, I will eventually swap the "active" parts such as CPU/GPU/MBD/RAM or drives, but I would like to keep the case, cooling and PSU for as long as I can, possibly for the next 10+ years.

The system is designed to run 20+ very low RPM fans, operating completely inaudible to ultra low noise levels (hence the radiator cooling capacity). As I have already invested a lot to drop the noise as low as possible, I need a matching semi-passive PSU that will: 1) stay dead silent most of the time 2) be as quiet as possible when it will surpass the passive operation load - thus, I need a PSU with an overkill efficiency and overkill power.

I am patiently waiting for the Arrow Lake release and then I will decide if I am going with Intel or AMD, but there will be a top end CPU paired with a single RTX 5090 (600W?). No other power hungry components besides two pumps, some ARGB elements and a lot of fans, so we are talking between 800 to 1000W on the PSU OUT, thats without spikes. Possible overclocking. Therefore, I am in need of a best possible 1kW+ unit. Also, I would like to have dual 12VHPWR connections due to XOC cards having those (for example Galax HOF 4090) now, also it might become standard even on the non-XOC cards based on the recent news. My current options therefore are:

1) I might use the new in box Hydro TI Pro 1000W that I still have laying around at my workshop. However, the power is on the low side for such a build and there is only one 12VHPWR connection, so I would have to source some 2x8 to 12VHPWR adapter for the second one (if such a cable for this PSU even exists).

2) I can settle with the soon-to-be-released SeaSonic TX1600 Noctua Edition which should be fully ATX 3.1 compliant while using a top notch fan, equipped with 2x12VHPWR connections. However, I am not a fan of SeaSonic units, their fan control was always sort of erratic, the fans were louder with rattling tones, I had numerous RMAs of them in the last decade, and so on, just a bad experience in general with the Prime units. Also the shutdowns with the RTX 3090s.  

3) I can go with the old, proven beast AX1600i while I still can grab it new. There is no ATX 3.0 certification, but the Flextronics platform is still king of the hill AFAIK. I would be able to pull out as many 2x8 to 12VHPWR connections as I would like, using the supplied 600W Corsair cables (please, correct me if I am wrong, but these cables do enable pushing the power limit just like native 12VHPWR connection, right?). The semi passive operation is there, the fan is quiet and of good quality. There is also the possibility of digital connection to a motherboard enabling me to monitor the total power draw in real time, which I like.

Please, any helpful opinion is appreciated. Do I really need ATX 3.0 removed link What would be my best pick? Would the age and ATX 2.4 standard of AX1600i mean any restrictions to my needs, such as overclocking the GPU? I need to have the PSU by the arrival of the RTX 5090 at the latest, sooner the better. 

Thanks !

Share: