Clear all

Corsair HX1000i (2022) relay clicking?

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rottmeister)
Topic starter  

Hi,

Just some time ago I bought new Corsair HX1000i (2022) psu. It seems to work well but ,,clicks" every time some load is applied to it, for example; starting FurMark, ATItool or some other stress test. This does not seem to happen when I undervolt my Asus Noctua RTX 3070 gpu. I thought that perhaps switching between multi-rail to single-rail this behaviour would stop but no.

Is this something that newer (digital) psu*s do or could be it some malfunction with the unit ?

(My current HX850 unit does not click regardless the oc or voltage of either GPU/CPU)

Thanks!

This topic was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Rottmeister

(@crmaris)
Member Admin

Clicks. Hm no it shouldn't do that. The PSU only clicks once it starts, because the bypass relay cuts off the circuit the NTC thermistor. 

ReplyQuote
(@rottmeister)
Topic starter  

Ok, understood. So its most likely faulty unit or perhaps my gpu malfunctions and causes psu to activate some protection ?

Although I dont get bsods and gpu seems to work well otherwise...

ReplyQuote
(@coool)
Eminent Member

@rottmeister, can you locate from where's sound is coming and post picture?

🌈🏳️‍🌈🇪🇺

ReplyQuote
(@rottmeister)
Topic starter  

@coool Well its definitely coming from psu, not sure where exactly. What is wierd tho is that when I reset my gpu*s clock-speed and voltage, it clicks. With slight undervoltage and lower mhz, there is no such thing.

ReplyQuote
jonnyGURU
(@jonnyguru)

Posted by: @rottmeister

@coool Well its definitely coming from psu, not sure where exactly. What is wierd tho is that when I reset my gpu*s clock-speed and voltage, it clicks. With slight undervoltage and lower mhz, there is no such thing.

Sorry I'm late.  

I know you're sure the click is coming from the PSU, but I bet you dollars to donuts that it's actually coming from the GPU fans.

jonnyGURU

ReplyQuote
(@rottmeister)
Topic starter  

@jonnyguru 

No, its coming from psu :). 

There is a similar case here:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1457224-corsair-hx1000i-weird-single-clicks-while-in-use/

This post was modified 2 years ago by Rottmeister

ReplyQuote
jonnyGURU
(@jonnyguru)

@rottmeister 

Can't you run the PSU outside of the case to confirm?  Or, can you orient the PSU so you can see the fan to see if the click corresponds with the fan starting?

If that's too much trouble, use iCUE and logging and log everything including fan and temperature and see if the click corresponds with something you find in the logs.

jonnyGURU

ReplyQuote
(@rottmeister)
Topic starter  

@jonnyguru 

Yea well, I already sent it back.

Its seems tho that I was not the only one having clicking issues with this psu.

From Youtube comments:

"the hxi1000 produces strange click noises during operation, non-periodical but with a certain repeatability....starting programs for example"

From Amazon.de (customer review)
"The power supply has excellent efficiency, the iCUE allows you to monitor absorption and numerous other parameters, zero coil whine. The only major flaw are the relays. My system is almost inaudible, and it is possible to hear the relays that go off more than a meter away."

ReplyQuote
jonnyGURU
(@jonnyguru)

Well, two units out of about 40K in circulation is hardly a pandemic.  😀

Would be nice to know if it's just the fan clicking on and off.  It's too bad nobody is really willing to do proper troubleshooting.

jonnyGURU

ReplyQuote
(@coool)
Eminent Member

Youngsters don't give a s*** about electronics. They have warranty deal with it. They don't have time for that. You know, other priorities.

🌈🏳️‍🌈🇪🇺

ReplyQuote
(@rottmeister)
Topic starter  

@coool  A youngster, yeah sure lol. Its just that having gone trough 3 different Corsair psus with all various issues, I just dont bother myself trying to fix something that should not happen at first place.

ReplyQuote
(@jimckd)
Member Moderator

@rottmeister 3 different Corsair PSUs with problems? That seems quite unlucky. I only had one time problem with a TX550M. And that was by the fan (noisy). The shop replaced it immediately.

ReplyQuote
(@horatiun)

@jonnyguru Hi, i know i'm late but i can confirm it's not the fan trying to start. For the sake of actually testing this i have bought 2 more HX1000i's from my local retailer (Romania), both with the same problem... So that makes 3 units alone. There are also other threads online regarding this problem and reviews telling the same thing. Clicking sounds like a relay every couple of seconds under low wattage ( <200w ) and goes away the moment it surpasses that. Right now i'm in a position where i've returned 2 units and still have my main one ( ready to be also taken back ). I'm not versed in troubleshooting PSU's but i just wanted to confirm this. I really need the PC for work so i can't fiddle with the PSU too much, so is this a major probloem? Is it safe to use in the long run?

This post was modified 1 year ago by HoratiuN

ReplyQuote
Share: